Sunday, June 6, 2010

Repotting the Rose

June 6, 2010


As gardens begin to bloom, it is only fitting that my own "repotting"/recovery is finally underway! Today marks Day +27 since my transplant. As of yesterday I have begun to feel more like myself. It's been a long, rough go. I nearly forgot how good it feels to just feel like me.

Once my stem cells were collected and frozen, the transplant process got underway. Since May 3, I have received high dose chemotherapy, twice a day for the first week, and hopefully the last chemo of my lifetime. Now I know why they call it HIGH DOSE. The side effects were dramatic and difficult at best. Two days after the end of the chemo, I received the transplant of my new stem cells, a painless six hour process. Between the effects of the chemo and baby stem cells, my blood counts dropped (to zero in some cases). I had several transfusions for platelets and red blood cells. At one point my platelet count was 5 (normal is 150 to 400). A friend suggested I name those 5 platelets (:

There is no way to begin to describe the profound fatigue, and while there wasn't much pain, the process is extremely exhausting. A week after transplant as predicted, I hit a low. Thankfully Rob, as always, was an amazing support. For the few hours he would get away here and there, I had sweet close friends and family who served as my baby sitters, since I couldn't be left alone. Every day I went to the clinic to get my blood checked, visit with the amazing team of transplant doctors and nurses and more. Every day I came home from the clinic to tired to do anything. All the continued good wishes that I received carried me through those dark days.

By about Day +20, I began to see a slow but steady improvement. The numerous side effects from the chemo began to ebb. Now at Day +27, I only need to go to the clinic a few times a week. My blood counts are coming up. I can no longer name my patelets....there are too many. YAY! I no longer need to take IV fluids at home. My daily pill intake has been reduced from 23 to 16 (still a mouthful, wouldn't you say?). I believe in the next few weeks the line in my chest from which they draw blood and give IV will be removed, and I will begin to make the transition from the transplant team back to my regular oncologist.

Still to come are the PET scan, which I pray will be the "ALL CLEAR" report, and a need to receive new childhood vaccines, since I am basically growing a new immune system. Although no longer completely quarantined, I am still not able to be in big crowds or to travel.

On a brighter note, I have found my way back to my journal, after weeks of not writing; I am reading and beginning to take some short walks around the neighborhood. I am eager to repot this Rose and watch exactly how she blooms!!!

My "Freedom Day" is June 24. That is the 45th day after transplant, a magic number to the transplant doctors. That will allow me July and a good part of August to continue to build my strength and get ready for a new and what is certain to be an awesome school year ahead.

There is still work to do, and I am beginning to blossom again!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rose,
    I stumbled across your blog while looking at St. Anne's website. I had her briefly from Georgia how were doing, but its nice to hear it in your words. I am so glad science is on your side! You are an incredible woman, and mother. You are in my thoughts often. Tell the Rob and Lucy I said hi!
    Warmly,
    Krystal MacDonald

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rose, I talked with Leslie and she told me your repotting process is doing very well!! You are an amazing woman and I just want you to know how often I have thought about you and said a prayer! Every time I see someone that I know knows you they always smile and sing your praises! You are not only an amazing woman, but a great mother and so loved at St. Anne's! I know you are going to be at school this fall with that wonderful smile of yours, but until then we are all saying our prayers!

    Love, Molly Mitchell Martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, dahling!
    Greetings from The Bookies Bookstore. It is almost closing time (5:45 p.m.) and Missy and I want you to know that we are pulling for you and your repotting activities. Remember, you da best and we love ya! Come to see us at The Bookies when you are ready to get out and about. Have we got books for you! Love, Midge
    Howdy! We are sending you a gigantic hug, Rose.
    We want you to waltz into the store so we can give you another hug in person! This message is full of love for you and Rob! xo Missy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rose,
    I just now googled St. Ann's helping a friend look for schools in Denver and saw your blog. I'm heartened that your bad news has turned to good news.
    I notice that you are over-achieving as usual -- the doc had never seen anyone react so well as "Mrs. Kelly" -- I'm sure you thought he meant Rob's mother.

    My best to you -- Maureen Harrington

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Rose-
    Thank you for sharing your experience. We send lots of love your way and can't wait to give you a big hug.

    Love and only love,
    The Erneweins

    ReplyDelete