Thursday, April 29, 2010

What A Difference A Day Makes

April 29, 2010

GOOD NEWS! The day after my last post I went to the doctor, ready to hear the regimen for the next six-week course of chemotherapy. My doctor told me he had reviewed my most recent CT scan with the radiologist and all his transplant colleagues, and to everyone's surprise, the newest tumors have diminished by at least 50%. This was truly awesome news!

What this means is the six-week chemo is no longer necessary and beginning this Monday,
May 3, we will go straight into the transplant process. I spent yesterday going through preliminary tests---EKG, Echocardiogram, Pulmonary Function, Sinus CT, Chest X-Ray, etc. Monday will begin six days of high dose chemo, twice a day, and on May 10th I will be reinfused with some new juicy, enhanced stem cells! Wow!! Modern science is truly a miracle!!!

The initial recovery will be slow and hopefully steady for the next 45 days. During that time I will be in isolation for the most part with regular visits to the clinic as my only outings. Our house has been "de-germed" and must be plant/flower free. I will be on a neutropenic diet, so Rob, in all his gourmet wisdom, is coming up with some interesting yet appetizing meals, since he is the only one who can prepare my food.

Now more than ever, I ask for your prayers, good wishes, rituals, healing dances, whatever it is you have been sending me that has helped to heal me this far. When this process is finished, I have a 50% chance of a cure--my ultimate hope.

Again, I thank you all for all you do to support me on this path. I feel as if we have been walking it together every step of the way, and I am grateful.....especially to share the news that there IS light at the end of the tunnel, and now it's not so very far away.


10 comments:

  1. Rose,
    You are totally amazing! We miss you and love you, Rob and the girls.
    marvin

    PS-Love this blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,
    Each time I read your blog I imagine that I hear your voice and because I love you so much I catch myself audibly cheering you on every step of the way! We think of you every day and that light at the end of the tunnel is definitely a welcome sight.
    Sending love, and a gazillion germ free happy hugs and healing dances for steady recovery.

    Fiona, John, Will, Henry, and Katherine Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Rose. What good news. We're with you all the way with our best prayers ever for a speedy recovery. Dittos on the germ free hugs and good wishes. May Rob's cuisine be the best you've ever had. With more love,

    Peggy and all the Sheehans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    Missed seeing you today. We are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jonathan and I are so happy to hear you are near the end of the "detour"!!Your blog is proof
    you have not lost your humor.What a rock you are! You will be needing that now to get past this last leg and back to us. We can't wait!Our
    kids help us pray for you every night before bed.Sending you all our love - Carla Thomas & co.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose,

    Sending you all the positive thoughts & prayers that we can send. Hope you are recovering well. You need to recover quickly, so you can see the kids this fall. We are all very excited to start this fall & it wouldn't be the same if we didn't see your smiling face. With your positive attitude, all the prayers coming your way & this modern technology it only points to wonderful things. Feel well & fight hard!! Kari, James, Dylan & Riley McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something must have been telling me to visit the St. Ann's website. I think it had been calling me for a month or two as I've been having such powerful thoughts of you. We're always skeptical when someone says, "Oh, I've just been thinking of you." But I really, really have been thinking of you.

    I'm so distressed that you have been slammed again with that nasty ole Lymphy. I know this has had to be a very bitter pill for you to swallow. But there have been impressive advances made over the last few years. Not having to stay in the hospital in a germ-free zone during your isolation is just one of them.

    Oh my dear friend, know that my heart is with you. If you hear thunder, that's me doing healing dances all the way out here in Tennessee. I'm kicking up a storm. Keep your spirits up. Obviously you have a lot of wonderful friends cheering you on. Profound love to you, Rob, Georgia and Lucy.

    Leslie Parsley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose, please know that you are in our prayers. We miss you very much! Vatsala Pathy and family

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart is breaking and the tears fall uncontrollably. She was my friend and there has never been another like her. My love and sympathy to Rob, Georgia and Lucy. And thank you Mr Smiley for writing such a beautiful tribute.

    Leslie Parsley (aka Meade)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think a place where people can leave their comments and memories of Rose would be a nice tribute to a remarkable woman.

    ReplyDelete